January 9, 2016

Testament of Youth (2014)



Out of all the films I watched in 2015, Testament of Youth is, by far, one of my favorites. It'Out of all the films I watched in 2015, Testament of Youth is, by far, one of my favorites. It's the first and only movie that I watched in the movie theatre by myself. At 7 o'clock in the morning. Best decision ever. 

In the fall semester of 2013, I took a seminar titled World War I: Global Perspectives and I wrote my final term paper about the role of women during the first world war, which made this film more appealing to me. I personally can't identify with the character of Vera Brittain. She's strong-minded, independent, inclusive, and I'm pretty much the polar opposite. But she represents the group of people, like the suffragettes, that struggled to fight for the rights I, as a woman, have today. 

More than anything, the soundtrack by Max Richter was mind-blowing. These I Send To You, Love and Imagination, The Rising of the Sun. These three are on my Top 25 Most Played on iTunes. I can watch the film over and over again for the soundtrack alone. 



"They'll want to forget you. 
They'll want me to forget. 
But I can't. I won't. 
This is my promise to you now. All of you."

- Vera Brittain


"At college, more than anywhere else, 
one was likely to make the friendships that 
supported one through life." 

- Vera Brittain


"Her mind was like a spring-tide in full flood; 
rich, shining, vigorous, and capable of infinite variety."

- Vera Brittain


"Edward assures me you won't mind me writing direct. You set me a challenge, you see, and I've done my best to meet it. I hope you find more feeling in this one. Down the long, white road we walked together, down between the grey hills and the heather, you seem all brown and soft, just like a linnet, your errant hair had shadowed sunbeams in it, and there shone all April in your eyes."

- Roland


"Like no one else...you share that part of my mind that associates itself mostly with ideal things and places. The impression thinking about you gives me is very closely linked with that given me by a lonely hillside or a sunny afternoon, or books that have meant more to me than I can explain. This is grand, but still it isn't enough for this world. The earthly and obvious part of me longs to see and touch you and realize you as tangible."

- Vera Brittain






No comments

Post a Comment

Ask Away.

© Paper and chic.
Maira Gall