September 10, 2015

Cinnamon Season


Summer, as intangible as it is, flew by like the high-speed cars on the highway. We entered a season of cardigans and blazers, cinnamon-flavored coffee drinks, and the constant raking of the bright red and yellow autumn leaves. In other words, it was the best time of the year. 

A concept very hard to explain in words, the arrival of fall always has the magical effect of bringing a wave of nostalgia over me. I could spend hours sitting by the window at a small cafe with a warm mug of coffee (while using mugs reduces the amount of plastic waste in the world, my reasons for refusing the plain white paper cups is to be able to wrap my hands around a mug….you know, for dramatic purposes). 

If I could go back in time and be able to change something, it would probably want to go on exchange in the fall semester, rather than in the spring. To have lived in the countryside of England in the months of September and October would have been so surreal and would probably have resulted in my illegal overstay in the UK. Why did my visa only last for six months? 

To my dismay, the city I currently reside in has only about three weeks of fall. The hot, humid summer takes its time to change the colors of the leaves and make it possible to walk about a incline without breaking a sweat. Too bad it gets mad cold, quicker than it takes to freeze a 2L bottle of water in the freezer. 

I wish there was a place where it was fall all year long. Not too cold, not too hot. Not humid. Just perfect. You know, like the perfect weather when you go apple picking. And just the perfect time during fall Field Hockey season, when you don't need to pull out the UnderArmour yet. 


No comments

Post a Comment

Ask Away.

© Paper and chic.
Maira Gall