July 13, 2013

An Education (2009)











Recently, I saw the movie An Education, with Carey Mulligan. I saw the trailer for this movie a couple of times and I was reluctant to watch it. To my surprise, I found that I totally fell in love with this movie, and Carey! I loved the character of Jenny, and her unsatisfying thirst for knowledge. She was curious about almost everything, especially Paris! This movie was very unique, capturing the split between male and female, the educated and the uneducated, the civilized and the uncivilized. At many times, I found myself totally against the decisions of the film's protagonist, but that would probably be the result of the time gap between the setting of the movie and now.

Maybe its because I have never been to Europe. Or, maybe its because I have never lived in the 1960s, when woman did not work in the professional field or when people lived in fear of nuclear bombs. But, I was so fascinated with the plot. I could never imagine getting into a stranger's car. Or throwing away chances to go to Oxford just to get married. Or even skipping school to go to an art auction. It was great to get an insight on a different culture, especially England. The movie portrayed England in a beautiful and magical way...my imagination of what 'living in Europe' would be like has become more artistic in a way. I picture beautiful tea cup sets, antique luggage bags, old buildings with vine growing all over it...

Also, in the movie, Jenny sings a French song called Sous le ciel de Paris by Juliette Greco and I totally fell in love!!! Listening to this made me want to learn French!



For those who haven't watched this movie, I highly recommend it!


No comments

Post a Comment

Ask Away.

© Paper and chic.
Maira Gall